Ense3 rubrique Formation 2022

Master in Hydraulic and Civil Engineering



  • Degree awarded Master
  • Mention
    • Civil Engineering
  • Location
    • GRENOBLE Scientific Polygon
  • Duration 2 year-program


The master in Hydraulic and Civil Engineering (HCE) offers state-of-art technical training in hydraulics, civil engineering, hydraulic works and infrastructures, hydrology, and water resources management

"By joining our program you will gain the scientific and engineering knowledge required to implement projects for the sustainable use of water, the design and modeling of hydraulics structures and the modeling of flows in rivers and networks."

Prof. Gaël COMBE, Director of the HCE Master.


Why choose the Program ?

  • Grenoble is the motherland of hydraulics
  • Mastering water is a major concern world wide
  • Small classes that promote good learning and high quality of the teaching
  • The program gives a great opportunity of six months' internship in close connection with industry
  • Cutting edge research environment
TP Capres Ense3


Entry requirements

Applications for the 2024-2025 intake are open until May 31, 2024.

► Applications requirements:
  • English language:
    -You must have the equivalent of a B2 level and provide one of the following test: TOEFL IBT: 72 and upper  / TOEFL ITP: 543 and upper / TOEIC Listening and reading: 785 and upper / TOEIC speaking and writing : 160 and upper /  IELTS: 5.5 and upper
    - If English is your education language you do not need to provide a language test but you must provide a certificate from your university stating that English is the medium of instructions.
    - If you are native from an English-speaking country, you do not need to provide any document.
  • Academic requirements:
    - Your GPA should be at least 3 out of 4 (or 4 out of 5) on the core subjects related to the master.
    - To apply to Master 1st year: Bachelor or Engineering degree related to hydraulic, mechanical and civil engineering. If you are in your last year of Bachelor/Engineering degree: an official letter with date of graduation.
    - To apply to Master 2nd year: Bachelor or Engineering degree including courses in hydraulic, mechanical and civil engineering. You should be at minimum in your 4th year of higher education (either in Master 1st or Bachelor 4th).
  • This master is only open to international students.
The Master HCE is a highly competitive academic program (duration: two years, M1-M2 levels). Applicants selection is done on the basis of prior academic and/or scientific achievement as documented by their academic background and results.

For students with a foreign degree, applications are definitely authorized by the Committee for Academic Accreditation at Grenoble university (CVA). Several meetings are organized several times a year (February, March, April, May, June) to select applications from abroad.
Application link: https://applicationform.grenoble-inp.fr/FSA2/676?lang=en

Required documents to upload on the platform:
- Language certificate or certificate of studies in English (unless English native)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- All academic grade transcripts available (bachelor or engineering degree)
- Diploma or certificate of achievement, or letter of graduation
- Cover letter
- Recommendation letter(s)

Students who reside in one of the following countries have also to apply throught the "Etudes en France" procedure : Algeria, Argentina, Benin, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Burundi Cameroon, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, the Republic of the Congo, South Korea, Ivory Coast, Egypt, United States, Gabon, Guinea, Haïti, India, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mauritius, Mauritania, Mexico, Nigeria, Peru, Senegal, Democratic Republic of Congo, Russia, Senegal, Singapore, Taiwan, Tchad, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey and Vietnam.


  ► Tuition fees:

Tuition rates for academic year 2023/24
  • For European students (European Union, European Economic Area, Andorra or Switzerland) and for students from Quebec fees will be: €1,473 per year*
  • For non EU-students fees will be: €5,000 per year*

*Fees are indicative for the current academic year, pease note that all students will also have to pay the campus tax of €100 (Contribution Vie Étudiante et de Campus) upon enrollment.

Scholarships: you can find information on: https://www.grenoble-inp.fr/en/academics/incoming-scholarships

*The international office will apply on your behalf to the IDEX and Eiffel scholarship programmes. We therefore kindly ask you to refrain from sending a separate application to these programmes.

► Getting organized
For information on housing, daily life, visas: https://international.univ-grenoble-alpes.fr/getting-organized



General information

For all questions:


Academic information

Gaël COMBE - Master HCE program director
Head of the master
Gaël Combe

Administrative Contact
International Relations Ense3


  • Course duration 2 year-program
  • Internships mandatory



The master in Hydraulic and Civil Engineering offers, for the most able undergraduate students, a 20 month full time 120 ECTS state-of-art technical training in hydraulics, civil engineering, hydraulic works and infrastructures, hydrology, and water resources management.

Courses are made of:
Laboratory Works
BE (project work)
1st year
Semester 7
Semester 8
2nd year
Semester 9
Semester 10
Download the 1st year program description Download the 2nd year program description


Further learning opportunities

Internship or Master Thesis

The 9 laboratories at Ense³ regularly host international students performing / carrying out an internship or a master thesis. Students also have the alternatuve to complete their internship at a local industrial as well as abroad

Program sponsor: EDF, ENGIE, SUEZ, VEOLIA etc.