Overview and career opportunities
Energy is vital for the growing and evolution of economies. It use needs to be optimized: our energy system must become sustainable. Power grids and buildings are a major concern for societies facing the necessity of sustainable development. Grids and buildings experience profound technological changes. They both converge through the smart grid where the buildings are an essential link via consumers, which become actors (« prosumers » (producers and consumers of energy)). In Europe and world over, significant investments have been for research and development in these fields.
The general objective is to acquire a high level scientific knowledge and skills in managing the full energy chain (production, distribution, use) together with economic, human and social considerations. The training aims to promote to work in a team and to develop the methodological spirit, creativity and adaptability to face all the changes encountered in the career.
Some competencies are listed below:
- Capacities to design, analyze, model, solve and operate a complex energy system matching the entire energy chain (production, distribution, use) and the local policies.
- Ability to develop diagnostic techniques and to solve complex problems by selecting and mobilizing the best analytical, numerical or experimental tools.
- Capacities to work in a team in a complex international and multicultural environment with colleagues from different cultures.
- Aptitude to conduct and manage group cross-disciplinary projects, research or industrial projects in an international context.
- Capacity to develop innovation, to explore breakthrough technologies and to implement them, taking into account environmental, societal and human constraints inter alias,
- Expertise to anticipate future needs, new markets and how to respond with the appropriate strategy through new competitive technologies socially and culturally suitable for the country/region.
Click here to have indications about Smart Grid EmploymentResearch
- Project engineer
- Development or research engineer
- Business or consultant engineer
- Exploitation engineer
Grenoble has a very long experience of international-level research and always has combined training, research and industrial partnerships. Research is essential to promote knowledge, innovation and technologies. This is a key to develop the taste for innovation and breakthrough technologies. Research is always behind this master training.
For a better and more efficient answer to the challenges associated to energy domain the Grenoble players have gathered in the Energies du Futur
Carnot institute for a competitive workforce. The competitiveness cluster « Tennerdis
» boosts the actions covering all the« New Energy Technologies » sectors. It also aims at increasing the partnership relations between the laboratories and the companies and still reinforces the attractiveness of the region.
Students develop a research project between the first and second year and can apply for a PhD position in or outside Grenoble after the master.International research facilities
Minatec, ESRF, ILL
G2Elab, G-SCOP, GIPSA Lab, SIMAP, Institut Néel, CEA-LITEN, CEA-LITEN, INES, ...
R & D centers for large industrial groups
Air Liquide, Alstom Power Hydro, Schneider, ST Microelectronics, ...
Date of update June 8, 2015