The English and Communication course is designed to help students to do the following:
• Develop their oral and written comprehension and production skills in English
• Develop their confidence in using and communicating in English
• Professionalise their English usage and communication
• Develop transferable (“soft”) skills
• Develop their cultural and intercultural awareness
• Work towards certification of B2 level according to the CECRL.
By the end of the semester 6 English and Communication course, students should be able to:
1.Give an engaging, well-structured formal presentation with appropriate visual aids
2.Write a summary of an article in a formal, academic/professional style
3.Accurately describe data, graphs, trends and comparisons
4.Communicate appropriately in a professional context, both face-to-face and using telecommunications (telephoning, emailing, video conferencing)
5. Analyse individual learning preferences, and develop strategies to promote autonomous language learning
In this course students are guided in the development of their oral and written communication skills, and given opportunities to use these skills alongside various transferable skills, critical thinking and study techniques. Themes and activities include; presentation and public speaking skills; using visual aids; describing graphs, numbers and data; summarising an article; autonomous work on selected language area(s) according to the needs of individual students.
Contrôle continu (CC), non rattrapable / Continuous assessment (CC) only, no resit for this course :
30% Pair Presentation
30% Summary of an article
20% Personal Option Project
20% Engagement in Learning
The ‘English and Communication’ continuous assessment grade counts towards the validation of the ‘Module Professionnel’. There will be no resit for this course at the end of the year.
2020-2021: oral assignments will be adapted to take place on line if necessary.
All 1A students will also sit the Linguaskill test at the end of the first year to try to certify the level B2 on the CEFRL as required by the CTI.
The exam is given in english only
The course exists in the following branches:
Course ID : 3EM2ENG6
You can find this course among all other courses.
Date of update February 8, 2017